Friday, November 23, 2012

A reading and publication

And so, Not for Sale is currently on the top page of Fiction365! I have to say I like their choice. It's an excellent option for Black Friday. And the background is perfect. They did a good job, and I am thrilled to be a part of that site.

In other news, I had a good time at an open mic put on by one of my old post-seconday schools. I don't generally list publications in my ol' alma maters here because ... well, because. They are legit publications, they get better every year as the program get tighter, but I'm not ready to list those pubs because they don't fall into the genres upon which I focus. I'm trying to rebuild something that I lost, and so I try to be focused here.

That said, I completely enjoy being a part of that and I had a great time. I trotted out a piece I was experimenting with, and I know that folks were paying attention because there was a little call and response going on. The problem with an open mic is that the lights are shining in your face, and so if you are reading a piece to try to judge audience reaction, it's hard to get anything from non-verbal communication. That said, I got some bits and pieces of verbal response, and one of the things that I think is that it doesn't work as well as a performed piece as it does as a printed piece, but the piece itself remains an idea worth experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment