Saturday, September 24, 2011

Who's the next contestant?

So, I'm digging around in my notes, very frustrated, because I can't find the section I dedicated to the story I want to start writing now. I'd done some preliminary work, just little character snippets, to try to help myself get a handle on this. And I can't find the file. I could scream.

This becomes of greater importance because I've finished the last story I was working on. Well, to be more specific, I've finished the draft. I like to put them away for a while before I start on the second draft, so I need to be working on another story.

That said, I am pretty pleased with the tale I just finished. I think it's very possible that it might become a much longer work.

I've promised myself that I would submit at least one thing a month, and I haven't sent out anything for September, yet. I am considering taking a tale I wrote for a young boy and cleaning it up for Dark Highlands--cleaning it up and putting in the bits that occurred to me but were not appropriate for a bedtime session that included not just the 9-year-old, but also a 3-year-old. The three year old was so cute--after hearing the story, he wanted to tell one, too, and it was mighty similar, but less lengthy. It was actually awesome. If those little story-telling sessions lead him to someday be a fabulous writer who says, "I owe it all to my lovely Esme," then I think I will be well-satisfied.

So, any way, there is that short fairy tale, and a piece of flash that I am trying to cut to 100 words to submit to Postcard Press. There, though, I am having difficulty with keeping the essence of the story in those 100 words. Flash fiction is no easy trick.

I think I will make a little to-do list for myself, here. I am at the point where notes about projects are entirely appropriate, because as the creation brain wakes up, more paths start branching out.

So, in no particular order:
  • Finish the postcard press fiction
  • Clean up the boy bedtime tale
  • Write down what is left of the unicorn story you told Teh Behbe as a child.
  • Write down the beyond 7 leagues story
  • Write down the bits and pieces r/t the harry potter story you told.
  • Work some more on Mahlee's story
  • Work some more on HQ hot 1&2
  • TADS for Revamped and updated works

No comments:

Post a Comment