Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chances must be taken (part 1)

The time has arived to think of other things, to explore another aspect of my nature.

All my life I have wanted to be a writer. Now, if I could just tell stories orally, that would be fine, and I'd say I had already succeeded. The oral tradition is valid, and I'm perfectly comfortable with public speaking, so that could be enough if that's how I was inclined. But I also like to toy with the language, with the structure and the choices and so forth, so it isn't just the storytelling I want to do, it's the whole of it:

Imagine it.
Speak it.
Record it.

A summer ago, I took a little creative writing workshop, mostly to jump-start myself. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty clear to me that I was writing very differently from everyone else. A few months later, discussing this issue with someone else, my come-and-gone friend, Colin, wrote out a little website on a slip of paper and said to me, "Esme, try this site. I bet there is a market for that story."

And after a few more months, wandering around in my brains and wondering if I had the courage to request the rejections, I finally tried the site. Put in the information regarding the story genre. And it spit out several possibilities.

I did not let myself think too much, I reviewed the guidelines and sent it on out. I tried, I tried, and that's a promise I kept--to myself, for once!











No comments:

Post a Comment