Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chances have to be taken (part 2).

And so, the email is composed, the story attached, and the missive sent to the editor.

Already there are things I'd change. Will it be clear that some of the circular language is to indicate the circular nature of thoughts, or will it just look like redundant words?

But the important thing, of course, is that I am trying. This is a world in which everyone thinks he or she can be a writer, and despite the fact that there is more room than ever for voices  telling stories, not everyone can do this. It's also true that not everyone can fix a car or a computer.

So I sent of the tiniest story I ever wrote, and we will see what happens. The brief story came to me while walking, and I was kind of surprised by how quickly it happened. I have always had trouble creating short works. I was never able to tell a whole story in less than 2000 words.

But there is was, in my head, and I wrote it down and sent it off.

Every time I manage that, I am a little more me, and a little less who I've been pretending to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment